Follow @W4HDM 1935 Ford Pickup: 09/01/2011 - 10/01/2011

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Last post for a couple weeks ... Time for a break!

I wanted to get a good start on the grill shell before I put the truck aside for a couple of weeks. I have other things to deal with.

I welded in the patch piece that I fabricated yesterday. I still have some work to do on it, but this made a huge improvement.




I also received some goodies to help me finish up the bed. I went ahead and ordered the rear stake pockets so that I would have some real measurements to go by to get the bed end ready for the tail gate.




I also got the bottom tail gate hinges and the gate latches (?)



Check back in a couple of weeks ... I will be starting on the bed again! I finally feel like I'm making some progress.




Wednesday, September 14, 2011

From the Back to the Front

Had to run some errands this AM so I just had a few hours to work on the truck.

I took a break form the back end and started shaping the piece for the big hole in the grill shell top. (Around the filler opening). This was time consuming, so not a lot of progress = few pictures :o(




Here is a video for fun ....




.......


Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tailgate


 First thing I attempted several videos while driving the truck up the driveway. I finally located a suction cup holder for my phone and stuck it in the window so I could go hands free LOL The only problem was the truck wasnt warmed up so I had to keep tapping the gas to keep it going.

EDIT: It turned out to be the carb causing the problem and I have since rebuilt it ... check August 2012 blog posts for an updated drive video.


                      


Messed around with the tailgate today. It was pretty banged up and I think I have gotten it about as straight as I'm going to.



Front
Front
Back

Back



Then I installed the traction bars just to get them out of my way.





Put the hood sides back on and the hood trim. Also I took the gas tank back out and mocked up the bed and tailgate.








Monday, September 12, 2011

A breath of fresh air!!

I started today grinding a couple welds on the bed corners and the tailgate.

I have some up coming obligations next week so I decided to take the truck off the jack stands and clean the garage.

I like this shot.
I need to get those hood sides back on.
The grill is not bolted on, it is just sitting on.
Needs a bath!
The bed is sitting up in the front because of the gas tank which will eventually get moved.   










































































Remember my transmission issue ......Since pulling the trans the truck went into first and reverse fine. I still hear a little noise when I let thee clutch out in neutral, so I have to do some adjusting on the fork.

I did not go any further than the top of the driveway since a lot of the body parts are not connected well. But it went up the driveway without any problems, and the drive is pretty steep. Maybe I will mess with it some more tomorrow and take it for a quick spin around the block.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Bed Day 16: Just a few more holes and a brace!

Started out filling more holes. I got most of the ones I wanted done, at least the ones that would be seen with the fenders in place.










Then I beat on the tail gate a bit and made a missing brace. ...

Factory brace.

Factory brace.

Missing brace.

New brace coming right up.

Fitting the new brace

Original

Fabricated

Can hardly tell :O)

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Holes, Holes, & More Holes: The Bed Days 14 & 15

I filled a bunch of holes on the bed sides. I think most of them are from different fender position configurations.

I started out cutting out the little pieces of metal to fit the hole. The process is time consuming. Eventually I started putting the metal on one side just big enough of a square to cover the hole then I fill it in from the other side. Once it is welded up I grind the metal piece flush.




This is what happened to my small magnet when I hit the other side with the welder. I switched to a heavier magnet and that did not happen again.








Then I shot the side with Rust Reformer.












 Then I started marking holes on the other side and got a few welded.



I sanded down the rear panel and shot it with Reformer before I called it a day.