Friday, December 30, 2011

Through the Looking Glass or Analyzing the Windshield

   I only spent a couple hours in the garage today. I wire wheeled the windshield frame. I still need to take it apart to get it all, but I wanted to see what I was working with first.





    It cleaned up nice, but I did find some rust ... why was I not surprised.




    The regulator cleaned up well too, but it has a few stripped gears. It takes a few turns before it will catch and crank the window out. I will probably have to replace this one day. I think the windshield will not stay shut if I don't ... I will have to look into it some more. Mac's used to carry a replacement but they have recently discontinued it :o(.





    A cool Patent stamp. I think it says  "Getto"



    And Santa brought another gift .... the window frame to cab rubber seal.



    When I ordered the above seal, I thought I was ordering the seal that goes between the frame and the window glass. No problem I can use this as well.

You can see the existing rubber well in this photo.


    After some research I have found there should be some sort of frame cover over the rubber (?) I still have to look into it some more, but I'm sure I am missing something. Fortunately the window will function fine until I get it straightened out. I think the piece I am missing is cosmetic only.

    Here is an example of one with chrome  trim and one with painted.

Click to enlarge.



1 comment:

  1. Im at the point of installing my windshield, I do have the seal for the frame to body but missing the windshield to frame rubber. Thought of using silicone but then saw your post. Do you know what seal is used at yours maybe? Cool blog btw! think you alos like mine... www.vonskip.com ;-) Cheers Skip'

    ReplyDelete