Saturday, May 19, 2012

Driver Side Fender: Day 1

     I pulled out the driver's side fender today and got started on repairing it.

My poor garage :(


     Once I hit it with some 320 grit, you could really see the low spots (black areas)! I will get to that later.

1935 Ford Commercial Driver's Side Fender

1935 Ford Commercial Driver's Side Fender


     The front corner was a mess, and probably the worst for this fender. This was an old repair by someone else. They used a bolt in the inner lip of the fender to help support it. I left that there. There were stress cracks in 3 places as well as some rust holes(?) that needed to be patched.  I did a little welding and banging on this area for most of the day and got it about as good as I can.


Before:





 After:






    Some of the blot holes had cracked near the edge, so I fixed those as well. The metal tends to melt away when trying to weld these up so I opted for a strip of metal to support the area better, I will just need to drill the bolt hole back in.

1935 Commercial Driver Side Inner Fender

1935 Commercial Driver Side Fender Under Side



     And a couple shots with the fender in position.








No comments:

Post a Comment