Saturday, August 25, 2012

Carter WCFB: Cleaning Day Two

    I started out doing a final clean on the carb bodies. The air horn and throttle body are aluminum and the bowl is zinc alloy. The aluminum is cleaning up nicely. I am almost tempted to polish them. The alloy does not look too bad but is blotchy compared to the aluminum.

Carter WCFB 4 BBL

Carter WCFB 4 BBL

Carter WCFB Throttle Body

Carter WCFB - Upper Left: Throttle Body     Lower Left: Air Horn      Right: Bowl


    I also cleaned up several small parts.

Carter WCFB 4 bbl Floats

Various Carter WCFB Parts



    Last, I took the vacuum housing for the secondaries apart to see what kind of shape the diaphragm was in. If I worked the shaft I could hear air so I figured it was OK. I It would also hold the shaft in if I plugged the air hole with my finger. Once I got all the screws out I carefully worked the diaphragm cover up without tearing anything.  Out comes a crap load of dirt/mud(?) and what looked to be sand. The center of the disc the diaphragm was connected to was also badly rusted. I pulled the rubber up from the housing and more dirt fell out .. not sure how that could have gotten in there. At any rate it all cleaned up pretty good. I think I will just have to put this back together once I clean up the housing a bit to match the carb.

Carter WCFB 4 BBL Vacuum for the secondaries

Carter WCFB 4 BBL Vacuum for the secondaries

Carter WCFB 4 BBL Vacuum for the secondaries

All cleaned up

Still need some touch up


    I still have a few more small parts to clean then I should be set for the new parts once they come in. At that point I should have a good idea of what else I will need to finish it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment