Follow @W4HDM 1935 Ford Pickup: 05/01/2012 - 06/01/2012

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Bolt Ons

  I bolted up the driver's side fender to make sure everything fit right. I pulled the bumper out of storage and mocked it up as well. Everything seems to bolt up OK with a bit of coaxing. The only thing out of wack is the driver's side fender brace. It is out of alignment from the fender lip bolt hole. It was bent at some point in it's life and I'm not sure I will be able to do anything about it.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Grill Repair

I adjusted the right side of the fender bottom and got it all welded up. I still have to work with the other corner.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Mayhem

    Spent the holiday weekend bolting the splash panels and fenders on.

Once I got to the driver's side I knew right away the grill would not match up. When I did the repair before I figures this would happen, so it was not a shock .... but more work. I cut out the offending area and started tacking in the new metal. The other corner was off a bit too ... live and learn. No worries, I will pull the grill off and I should have this all welded up tomorrow.

The slight bend you see on the left fender is an old repair. I may try and file this down some so it will flow better.

DeSoto !!!

Friday, May 25, 2012

Sorting out Parts

    I pulled out my bolt buckets and parts today. My intention was to bolt the front fenders up, but I want to use new bolts. I have to make a list and head to the hardware store tomorrow. Right now I just have a mess!

The bed looks out of wack in the rear, its just the way it is sitting ... not bolted on yet.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

DS Fender: Days 4 & 5

Finished up the major body work on the drivers side front fender and shot a coat of primer on it.

Monday, May 21, 2012

DS Fender: Day Three

    I had some other things to do today so I did not get a lot done on the fender. I worked the metal a bit more and spread a layer of filler. Most of this will come back off. After that it will just about be finished.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

DS Fender: Day Two

     I sanded off a bit more of the black to show the dents better ....

    Then I applied the first coat of filler and sanded that down ......

    Another coat ....

    And sand .....

    There was also a stress crack at the bottom of the hole for the bumper bracket so I tack welded that to keep it from getting worse.

    When the 1936 model came out they used the same fenders but rather than a hole for the brackets they did a notch at the bottom.