Saturday, November 12, 2011

Windowless ... or One Less Window

    Today I decided to take the back glass out of the truck. It is in pretty bad shape and will need to be replaced. It will also allow me to reach in and work on some of these dents.




    At first it wanted to be stubborn so I put some lighter fluid on the seal at the bottom to help soften it up.

While that was soaking I wanted to get a feel for some aluminum reinforced filler that I picked up. I have never used this and wanted to see how it dries spreads etc. I mixed up a small batch and applied it to the area on the cab that had an old patch put in. It spreads nice and dries a bit slower than Bondo. It also seems to be a bit harder than Bondo.

     My goal is to fix as much of the body as I can with welding and hammering heating etc. and only use the filler as a skim on the final repair. Some of the cab dents have supports blocking them on the inside of the cab so I cant knock them out. I don't think I want to tear the cab supports out for a few dents so I will fill those with filler. There are no any big dents so it will not take much.


    The area in the pics .... I sanded the filler back off and hammered and dollied to straighten it as much as I could and then applied a skim coat. I will sand that down tomorrow.

    After having soaked the seal in lighter fluid, I took a putty knife and hammer and tapped that all along the window edge to free the glass from the seal. Once I went all the way around I took my dent puller suction cup and attached it to the window from the inside ... popped it right out. Two small sections, one on each lower corner, stayed behind because the inner safety film had been sun damaged and would not hold it together. If you know safety glass you know what I'm referring to.



Cleaned all of the seal off the metal and now it is ready to hit with the wire brush.

No comments:

Post a Comment