Friday, February 4, 2011

Transmission .... Final Chapter?

OK ... back at it this morning ... in with the trans out with the trans in with the trans.... all this in and out messed up the crappy pilot bushing..... so I had to remove it. More paper and water and a hammer!

Note: some of this came from taking it back out.

Déjà vu


I put the original one back in, then went back to trying to get the trans in ... tight pressure plate bolts, loose pressure plate bolts, home made alignment tools, bottle jack in front, bottle jack in rear, clutch facing this way, clutch facing the other way, twist, push, lift, pull. Insert WTF after each step then repeat!  Keep in mind I do not have a transmission jack ... all of "in/out" of the trans was me laying on my back and bench pressing the dang thing over and over ...for what 3 days now ...I lost track! LOL I will probably never remove and install pressure plates in my life time to catch how many times I did it on this truck!

I could still only get it as close to about 1/4 inch from being flush!




So what does it all boil down too?  ............................................ Drum roll please ..........................

the pressure plate "fingers" were simply keeping the trans from going any further. I put the trans bolts in and tightened it flush. I have never installed a clutch before so I really had nothing to compare to, other than the one I took out ..... I had had that one out before and and the trans popped right in ... slipped the fork on the throw out bearing and was done with it ... there was obviously a lot of wear on the old fingers and bearing because the old set up did not fit nearly as tight as this. This is a good thing ... I think LOL  I really wont know until I get the drive shaft exhaust etc back on.

Summary for today .... got trans in, bolted the bracket that holds the e-brake and shifter on, hooked up the shift linkages and the clutch fork to the pedal with return spring,  bolted the e-brake lever on. Then I put the exhaust back on the passenger side. (2 bolts) ...... problem (minor) When I slid the exhaust under the truck the e-brake cable slipped over the pipe and I didn't notice ..... done for the day. I will take the exhaust back off tomorrow and get the cable on the right side. The truck should be off the ramps and back against the wall by tomorrow evening!


Thanks to my Dad and my buddy Steve for letting me vent and giving me helpful tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment