Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Bushing size ... problem solved!

So I went to the local NAPA to see if they could match a pilot bearing to my old one since the new one came in with the OD too big .....

NAPA did not have anything to try to match up to, and a brief look at his book showed none starting with .8 ... So I decided to cut the bad off the old one and use it.

After I cut the old one I decided to try something with the new one.

I placed my 4.5 inch grinder in my vise and put on a grinding wheel. I placed the new bushing on a close fitting long socket. I locked the grinder on and put the bearing to the grinder holding it by the ends of the socket and letting the bushing spin on the socket as the grinder shaved it down.

I got it pretty close then switched out the grinding disc for a flapper to finish it off, paying close attention to the diameter by stopping frequently to compare it to the old one.

It's new home is now in the back of my Poly!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got'er figured out! Knew you would, Country Boy Ingenuity!! Dad

    ReplyDelete