Friday, October 1, 2010

Lifters, Seals, and Plugs ...Oh my.

Spent the morning gathering parts to try and get the engine back together. My gasket set showed up via UPS and apears to be the right set. Went to NAPA and got 2 radiator hoses, expansion/freeze plugs, oil filter and ordered a distributor cap. Then I went to Wal-mart and got 5 quarts of oil and 2 gallons of anti-freeze. Then to AutoZone for engine paint.

Had to take a break form it and shop for tires for my daily driver. Have an appointment at 10am this morninig. The good news is I have to return to NAPA and get a different size expansion plug and see if my distributor cap came in so I can walk next door to do that while the truck is getting tires. I will also take an exhaust manifold stud in to try and match that up.

I came home yesterday and removed the fan, water pump and fuel pump. I then flipped the engine to begin the rear main seal change and a lifter shot out. Flipped the motor back up and removed the valley pan and the lifters.

The original rear main seal was the old rope type and did not want to tap out. It would just mash down and bunch up. I loosened all of the crank bolts just a bit and pried up on the crank to remove some pressure and my buddy was then able to pull the old seal out with pliers. After some discussion of how the new one went in (lip towards the front, but lip was unclear) slid the new one in. Tightened the crank back up and applied some ATV gasket maker on the ends of the seal, and put the other half and tabs in the cap. replaced the cap .... done. I still have to get the torque specs for the engine and re-tighten the crank bolts etc.

It was still early so I decided to pop out one of the expansion plugs. I measured twice for the plugs and still bought the wrong size! I'm not sure why I wrote down an inch and 1/4 when they are actually 1 5/8 !!!!! Taking the first one out proved to be a little more difficult than I expected, but I got it. Once it was out I saw what was causing the difficulty .... crud was packed tight where there should have been a hole! Turned the engine on its side and dug out most of it. It was time for dinner so I gave up for the night.

Once my tires are done this AM I will come back and remove the rest of the plugs and clean out the holes, clean the parts I removed and start putting it back together. I will paint some of the parts and set them aside. I still have to clean the rest of the main block but I'm waiting until the heads are back on to protect the pistons.

Exhaust manifold status:

I received an email on Wednesday from the fellow I purchased the manifold from saying shipping was delayed but it was now on its way. As long as it gets here towards the end of next week I will be ok. Either way I have to get the truck back to Georgia ... manifold or not! Hey that manifold is what lead to all of this work!

I will post some pics in a while from yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment