Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Removing the engine with transmission.

Started the morning gathering the last of the items needed for the removal. Went to the local auto parts and picked up the engine leveler and had to purchase extra chain since the ones that came with it would not reach from side to side. I guess they think you are going to have the intake manifold off before hand.

I removed the valve covers and attached the leveler to the block via the head bolts. I jacked up the truck to be able to get under it. Chocked the wheels and determined that the emergency brake was mounted to the same bracket that the shifter was connected to so I had to remove that. I then removed the cross member that the trans was connected to and pulled the drive shaft off of the trans.

Over all the engine came out pretty easy. A section of exhaust held things up a bit, but after remembering the truck was still jacked up, we let that down and it came right out. I did manage to crack the distributor cap trying to drop the trans end down enough to free the drive shaft. that should not be a problem to replace and it probably needed a new one any way.

The engine is now hanging from the lift soaking in degreaser for the clean up. I ordered a engine gasket kit while I was in the auto parts store so I can replace most of them while I have it out. Maybe this will eliminate most of the oil leaks!

I noticed the oil pan looks as if it were "chopped" at some point as it has a weld all the way around it. I guess the original sat too low to the road. There are a few dings in it as well. I am hoping none of my leaks are from a puncture! Once I finish the engine I will address the transmission as it appears to be leaking as well.

My replacement exhaust manifold should arrive in about 2 weeks so I will have time to do this in the mean time. Thanks to Rodger in Colorado for that!! He also tells me it will be coming with new studs! Great guy!

Speaking of studs there appears to be one missing or broken form the passenger side manifold as well .... I am hoping it is just missing! I will know once I take the time to clean up the hole.

Here are some pictures of today's escapades:

Hooked up and ready to go!
Going,
Going .....
Gone!
Looks pretty solid under there.
Driver's side
Passenger's side


Note in the last few pictures the X frame has been cut ... however it was braced and although not pretty it is functional and I see no ill effects of how it was done. Front has a metal plate welded on top of the two legs and the rear has individual braces going fom the end of each leg angled back  ^   to the frame.

I will be working tomorrow, so I will not have much time to devote to the truck. I will try to clean on the engine tonight and tomorrow. I will also need to pick up the gasket set from the parts store sometime after tomorrow. They had to order it from one of their stores in Tennessee. I'm crossing my fingers that they really have it and that I ordered the right thing!

The engine number is P27-I894II ... one source on the web shows this as a 1955 Plymouth engine. Other sources show a Dodge 270 so I went with the Dodge. I looked up the gasket set for the Plymouth and the engine just did not seem to match up in size. We will see .... once I open the box ... no return :O(

4 comments:

  1. Damon, that frame may have been from the 40 ford for the front end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damon, do you have it in Missy's garage? It appears you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes this is now in Missy's garage..... I'm not sure but I was told the front end was from a 40 ford ... not the whole frame. I am going to start researching the frame this weekend (Sept 5th-6th) to find out how cutting the X frame out effects the chassis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UDATE: Although the X member has been cut. It was reinforced with top plates and sections going from the remaining X to the main frame rails. Not the prettiest but should be sufficient for the low HP Poly.

    ReplyDelete