Sunday, August 29, 2010

The big day



The truck is a 1935 Ford that was supposedly drag raced in the 50's. It was purchased from a man that wanted to go to Hawaii before passing to Sid's Hot Rods in Washington State. I assume the person I purchased it from bought it from them. I bought it from the owner of Centre Hall Harley Davidson in Pennsylvania.

The truck has a 1955 P-27 Plymouth Polysphere Engine with 4 Barrel carb, 3 speed manual tranny with floor shifter, Dana rear end, 40 Ford front end with juice brakes. It also has a shortened bed and old school traction bars. The running boards and rear fenders appear to be from a 50's Chevy truck, but I have not confirmed that. The plan is to replace those with the correct boards and fenders.

Thursday August 26th .... Drove up from Atlanta to Amissville Virginia on Wednesday and left from there Thursday morning and headed up to Centre Hall Pennsylvania to pick up the truck. After briefly looking the truck over and filling out some paperwork we loaded it onto the trailer. Not thinking about the low stance of the truck, I managed to rip the exhaust off of the truck on the trailer! Not a big deal since I was going to replace it anyway. The bad news was it also busted the driver's side exhaust manifold.

The trip back to Virginia was uneventful and the unload went much better than the load.

Saturday August 28th ... Inspected the damage to the manifold. At some point it had been welded before so it was in need of a new one any way. The bad part is that two studs were sheared off as well. I removed the remaining manifold. The studs came right out, if not then the nut came right off leaving the stud. This is good news, hopefully removing the sheared studs will be much easier than expected. Two studs, when removed, allowed coolant out of the engine. Maybe someone had to drill out those studs in the past and went in too far. I am not going to worry about that now. With the studs in place no coolant leaks out.

I have decided to delay taking it home to Georgia until I can fix the exhaust. I will go ahead and pull the engine to make things easier and allow me to clean it up and see what else needs to be done to it. I have noticed an oil leak that will need to be addressed as well.

I spent the rest of the day calling around trying to locate the manifold. No luck yet but may have found one in Colorado. I'm in the process of determining if it is the right one. In the mean time my father has a guy in his area that may have one. If these do not pan out I have a few salvage yards in the area I can check.

Besides the manifold hunt, I removed the driver's door panel and fixed the inside door latch. The bolt connecting it to the main release had came off and luckily was lodged between the door and the panel. Put it back in and now the lever works fine. I also inspected the window unit and determined it is all there other than the part that slides onto the bottom of the glass. The truck had 2 of them in the bed when i got it but they appear to be different and in poor condition. I will order these online. The glass for both doors came with the truck and are in good shape and can be reused. I also adjusted the door catch to take out a slight rattle. I put the door panel back on but have not put the screws back in yet. I will call it a day and finish that up tomorrow (Sunday)

No comments:

Post a Comment