Monday, August 13, 2012

Sometimes You Have To Be Regulated

   



    Well one good thing about birthdays you get to buy parts for your project! I decided on replacing all of the regulators in the truck. The only one that really works is the passenger side window. The driver's side regulator broke where the crank handle connects. It was working when I got the truck but there was a cracked piece and it finally gave way once I installed the new glass. The windshield regulator would not hold the frame tight to the cab and you had to push the frame out about 6 - 8 inches while cranking the handle until it caught and started opening the frame on its own. When you wanted to close the frame, you had to be ready to catch it while cranking it in. The teeth in the arms are shot on the bottom half.
    The windshield regulator came in yesterday and the door regulators should be in tomorrow. Since I had one I went ahead and got started with the installation.

    I thought I was going to have a nightmare getting the screws out that hold it to the windshield frame. I had tried to get them out before with no luck. Once I unpacked the new one I noticed it has a retaining pin holding the arms to the bracket that attaches to the windshield frame. Awesome ... pop the pin out of both parts and attach the new part to the old bracket. Done. Well I had to first remove the dash via 6 screws and take off the two bolts holding the regulator to the dash.

New regulator in old bracket.

Regulator fully extended.

From the outside.

Hood level view with cowl vent open.


    I also ordered the correct crank handle for this year. The old handle looked to be for a vent window.






    I am posting this next group of photos for reference. These are of the original regulator and the vent window handle.



1935 Pick up windshield regulator.

1935 Pick up windshield regulator.

Worn gears on a 1935 Pick up windshield regulator.

Worn gears on a 1935 Pick up windshield regulator.

1935 Pick up windshield regulator

1935 Pick up windshield regulator

1935 Pick up windshield regulator



1935 Pick up 



No comments:

Post a Comment