Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Carter WCFB: Some Final Cleaning & Assembly

  I finished up the cleaning with the secondary diaphragm. It polished up nice. I also shot the internal metal parts with etching primer and silver paint to stop any missed rust.







    That evening the mail delivered my kit, so I spent all of today putting it back together. I only ran in to a few problems but problems none-the-less.




    The helpful people on the HAMB helped me figure out how to run a newer carb on my engine, so if this one does not work I will go that route. It just requires an adapter to go from the current small intake holes to the more standard larger hole carbs. Of course I would also have to buy a carb. One fellow gave me the carbs that will work so I should be good to go if I go that route.

    The carb had a few issues to begin with and I caused a few on my own during this adventure. One problem was the pump was bad. When taking the pump out I was careful to note how it was installed. Mine was installed with the spring on the shaft above the plunger. When I installed the new one this way it did not seem to operate properly. After referencing several exploded views of WCFB carbs ... some had the spring on top, some bottom and some had both! I went with the bottom and it seems fine.

    Another problem ... on the pump shaft inside the pump cover there was a small metal part that holds the vent up until you press the pedal. This part was already bent out of shape at some time in its life. I attempted to correct it and immediately broke the tab off. Grrrr The directions for adjusting this for 55 Plymouth stated "None" so maybe it will be OK, if not I will need to locate one if I keep it.

    The worst issue I ran into ... I broke one of the little brass screws for the valves off in the shaft. I had to drill it out and use the remaining stub of a screw in its place. I plan on replacing all of these as soon as I can locate them ... I also would like to replace the valves.

    Other than issues I have mentioned before. like the choke assembly and choke are missing, a few screws here and there, there is also a strainer missing and possibly a filter. Lastly, some diaphragms show discs on the metering rods and some did not. Mine did not have them ... I do not know if it should have them or not.

    I have a few adjustments to make to linkage and mixture screws and it should be on the truck tomorrow. Crossing my fingers, but deep down I see myself getting a new set up. If I replace the choke and other parts on this one it will be rather costly. As of now I only have the cost of the kit in it .... about 55 dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment