Friday, March 16, 2012

The Bed & Gas Tank Repair

  I worked on the bed some more today. This thing has been through hell, what a mess.      
   
    Anyway, it's coming along. I fear it will take a while before I say good enough .. or I could say it tomorrow LOL I am just trying to get the worst of it using hammer and dollie, some heat, and filler. I probably will not do much if anything on the inside of the bed. I'm thinking I may use some kind of roll on liner.

     I have a bad habit of starting out thinking I will just use the filler. Once I sand the area I feel like I can hammer it out and make it better. Then some shrinking were needed. Well all of this wrecks the filler. So I have to remove the bad ... but the area is a bit better and will require less filler in the end! Well the bad news ... I waste a lot of filler!  I suppose better wasted filler than too much on the truck.


    Here are a few pictures. This is after I sanded down the first filler application.  First I used a filler file to knock it down, then I hit it with 80 grit. It's in it's rough stage right now. Tomorrow I will hit it with another coat of filler.

  





    I straightened the back up a bit. The area between the first and second panel at the bead roll was pushed out ( at thetop) So I used some heat as well as my rubber mallet and finally got it back in. My goal here is just to make sure nothing rubs the cab once it is installed.



    The gas tank tube is loose in the hole. Someone in the past put JB Weld on it and it seemed to be holding up fine. At some point I knocked it loose so I removed the old JB and cleaned it up. Then I sanded the area with 40 grit, then wiped it down with solvent. Then I put a tank repair putty on it. It acts and looks just like JB Weld ?? At any rate all it is doing is keeping the tube straight and sealing the area. I suspect if I left it loose it would not affect anything.
   
While I was messing with it I decided to play with the sending unit a bit. I hooked it to my ohm meter and was getting a reading. It appeared to change if I moved the tank causing the gas to move around. Now to get it wired and see if I can get a reading on the original Ford gauge!

No comments:

Post a Comment