Friday, February 3, 2012

Out With the New ... or ... I Messed Up!

    I finally got a new pair of mechanics gloves .... I would say I got my monies worth from these!




    I have learned that I am going to need more light! My vision is not the best in low light conditions and even though I have the work lights, nothing beats natural daylight! Yesterday I opened the garage door for something and with the sun shooting in the garage I got a good look at the firewall and was not happy. I could see blemishes through out the panel. Stuff I looked for but did not see with the work lights directly on the panel.

    So I took the new paint off the panel and primed it again. Used the finishing glaze and hit the spots that were standing out. I finished it out with 420 grit sandpaper. Then I sprayed some automotive primer on it. The Rust primer doesn't seem to finish out as well as a regular automotive primer. Tomorrow I will hit this with 600 grit then repaint it.

If you are using Rustoleum Heavy Rust Primer ... Just an FYI, I wrote and asked Rustoleum about the products I had planned on using. Here is some useful information for those wanting to paint over their primer.

"We would advise for you to wait  7 to 10 days after putting the Rusty Metal Primer on then you need to wash the surface with soap and water then you can sand and paint those parts.  If the Rusty Metal Primer is used on metal that is not rusted the oils that are in it will come to the surface and prevent a topcoat from adhering.  

Washing with dish soap and water helps to remove these oils so that it can be painted.

Our Protective Enamels are not designed to be wet sanded and buffed.  We do make a Crystal Clear Protective Enamel that can be wet sanded and buffed.   The Crystal Clear Protective Enamel is only available in a spray.  HERE is a link to this product."




No comments:

Post a Comment