Thursday, January 26, 2012

Installing the Front & Rear Glass

     OK I do not know how to install the glass but I looked it over and used my best guess and got it done.



        Let's get started

    First I gathered all of my supplies ...






    Then I measured the tape by first laying it around the glass then cutting it where it met. You will need 80 inches to do the back glass in a 35 pickup.  Then I split the setting tape down the middle lengthwise with scissors. I did this because I did not think it needed to wrap around the glass Let/s hope I'm right. Also, the glass would been an extremely tight fit, if it fit at all, top and bottom on the glass to fit between the cab braces. I actually tapped the top one up a bit to get the glass to go in better as it was. ...



    Then I took alcohol  and cleaned the glass and wiped down the setting tape to remove any dirt or dust. If your using previously used glass you may want to take a razor blade and lightly go over the glass surface to remove any over spray, road grime etc.. ....




    I'm not sure if this is how it is done but I squirted WD-40 on the edge where the tape is going. Then I laid the tape along the edge pressing firmly to get it to stick. You may have to stretch and pull around the corners for a good fit. Be sure and use your free hand to hold what you have done so far or you will pull it out of position and have to back track!
    BTW -The WD-40 makes it slick and sticky, so it is tedious to have the tape stay still ... especially if you put the WD-40 on to heavy. Wipe it off as needed. This activates the tape to stick to the contacted surfaces.





    Note the gloves  ... you will need them! The WD-4o causes the tape to become slimy and of course wet ... It leaves a black mess everywhere!

    Then I cleaned the area on the cab where the tape will make contact and put a good skim of WD-40 on the exposed setting tape & inserted the glass in the cab opening ....



    Then I pressed all around the edges for a bit to get a good contact. Once I had it seated pretty good I put some excess setting tape, folded to be thicker under the glass bottom to raise it up slightly. This gave me a bit more contact on the upper corners. Then I put paper towel strips and the garnish molding on to hold it tight in place. Once it sets I will remove the paper and also paint the garnish the proper color. NOTE: Make sure you have the garnish molding and screws close at hand because you will need to hold the glass in while you gather this stuff up to install it! You do not want the glass to release and drop out.... shattering all over your floor!




    After it was all set, I used mineral spirits to clean all of the black tar(?) from the glass and finished up with window cleaner. Then I trimmed the excess tape with a razor blade and cleaned the glass again.



    And here it is ..... Sweet!




OK, then it was on to the windshield ....

    I again prepped the glass for the job and measured the setting tape. You will need about 111 inches to do the windshield. I then folded that down the middle lengthwise and wrapped it around the glass. You have to kinda pull and stretch the tape, careful not to break it, and work it around the corners.




    Once I got the tape on I shot WD-40 into the channel on the frame the glass would sit in and slid the bottom half on. Be careful to keep the tape centered on the glass. If it gets a little shifted one way or the other it's ok. You will have to trim it in the end anyway. Also watch that the tape does not slide and bunch up in front of the moving edge of the frame as you push down. Try to keep the ends as even as possible, working each side down a little at a time.




    Once I got it down as far as I could I had to use a rubber mallet to  .... this was pretty damn scary ...... beat it down until it met the other half. I tried to make sure all of my hits where firm and level, Taking care to hit the frame where I needed to. I thought for sure I was going to break the glass, but she went on down and I inserted the screws.



    After that it is pretty much the same deal as the back glass .... trim the tape and clean it up.

    I set the glass in the frame onto the truck to see how it will look. Looks pretty cool ... I'm dig'n the green tint!




EDIT: I found out there should be a rubber seal on the back glass! This should not be hard to fix and I do not need to to it now to proceed.

Photo from Bob Drake's ... shows a car but also list the pickup



This glass sure is a motivation booster! It's starting to come together! I have a feeling the door glass will not be a picnic!









No comments:

Post a Comment