Friday, January 27, 2012

Can't Buy It ... Make It!

  

    This is the lower window channel for the Drivers door. It runs on the outer edge or the latch side of the door for the window to roll down into. I am missing the one on the passenger door.



    I looked for this part online and I inquired about it on my resource forum - Ford Barn and it appears no one is re-popping this part. So I will attempt to make one using this one as a guide but mirrored.
    I dug through my spare part bucket and decided the extra but worn window channel would do the trick for the channel base that holds the "fuzzy" channel.



    I wire wheeled it to clear the rubber coating and ground of the tab that holds it in the door.






    Then I measured it and cut it to size.




    This is a mock up to make sure the "fuzzy" channel would fit ... perfect!



     I started making the legs ... I actually made 2, but both came out wrong ... the first one, one of the tabs on the leg that the bolt goes through to hold it to the door was too small. (right) ....The other  the legs came out too short! (left) I forgot to allow for the extension (see post below) ...       Well I am getting practice anyway, HA! I will attempt to make another one tomorrow.



    I am having to extent the legs a quarter inch to allow for the dip on the ends on the original one. I mounted the existing one in the door with the door latch mechanism to make sure the dips did not allow for clearance ... they don't so I can just raise the legs to compensate.







No comments:

Post a Comment