Follow @W4HDM 1935 Ford Pickup: 01/01/2012 - 02/01/2012

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Taking Apart the Temperature & Amp Gauge

I took this gauge apart to see what kind of condition it was in and to clean it up. I basically plan on re painting the gauge housings and fixing what I can.

The temperature tube in the temperature gauge has been broken off at the base of it's housing, The amp gauge appears to be in working order. I will not know until I do further testing.










And a quick look at the speedometer ....






Monday, January 30, 2012

Rebuilding the Driver's Door

    I started the day sanding the glaze I put on yesterday from the firewall and dash. Then I sprayed on some more primer. I got the cowl vent and glove compartment door too.



    While the compressor built up air I worked on putting the driver's door back together. I put the latch on first, followed by the remote door latch rod and the window regulator.



    After that I put in the window channel kit.





    I still have to finish up the upper glass channel by putting in the little screws that came in the kit to hold it in place. I also have to install the door catch, install the rubber bumpers and paint the garnish trim.




    Once that was all in I installed the window retaining channel onto the glass with setting tape.



    In the first 2 pictures the channel is on backwards, I caught this as I was taking the photo. I pulled it back off and flipped it over!

Breaking Down the Fuel Gauge

     I had bagged the gauges up a while back and put them in my office. While sitting here last night I looked over and saw the bag and decided what better time than now ....

     I pulled out the fuel gauge ... it rattled! I was pretty sure it shouldn't! So I tore it down and started cleaning it up. One of the contacts inside had broke loose from the stud. I fixed that and cleaned what I could then went to bed.

I forgot to get a picture of it before I tore it down :o(























Sunday, January 29, 2012

Interior Paint: Day One

    I masked off the doors and painted the inner panels. I did not paint where the fabric will cover.










    I also painted the upper dash ....



    The paint came out pretty good. When I did the second door, I thinned the paint a bit more and it went on much smoother.  The color is "Leather Brown" It looks a lot lighter in the pictures ... the 7th picture from the top is more like it.



    I also worked on the dash some more. I picked up some glazing putty for small blemishes.







        Before I paint the floor I need to address the opening for the steering column.