Saturday, December 31, 2011

Tearing the insides out!

    I started taking the inside apart to ready it for paint. I started by removing the seat and the battery ...



 Then I removed the glove box. Well what resembles the glove box ... I will throw this out and get the original type or make one out of something a bit lighter.



    I removed the glove box door and sanded it down. While sanding the layer of old paint was so thick I decided to put some paint stripper on it to remove it all.




    I also removed the rear view mirror, sanded it and shot it with Reformer. While I was painting I went ahead and shot the two panels that cover the wiper motor access holes.




    I also removed the 2 gauges from the dash. I still need to unhook the sending unit from the block for the temperature gauge.






    I started sanding down the inner cab  but I did not get very far. I will not be taking this down to bare metal if I can help it since it will be covered later.




    I found this reinforcement strip/part to be rusted out at the bottom. I will repair this.



    I am also having some confusion with my windshield. It seems that 35/36 windshields are not installed like mine is so I am doing some research to find out what is going on with it.

    These next two pictures are so that I can post to another forum for reference. They are of the seal holding my windshield in ... the Fords I am seeing, the glass is installed with setting tape and a rubber seal goes around the outside of the frame, hidden from the outside view. In other words when you are looking at the truck from the outside you only see metal frame ... no rubber.

Inside view
Outside view
UPDATE: After posting my dilemma to the Ford Barn forum it seems someone adapted a newer rubber to my original frame. Once my glass and setting tape come in it should work just fine .. now to get the screws out of the 2 piece frame without damaging anything!!

I found this picture of the same type rubber on the back window of a 50s Chevy truck .....




No comments:

Post a Comment