Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Disassembling the Door

    Today I cut the rust out of the underside of the inner door panel and fabricated a new piece for the hole. I did not weld it in yet. I want to be able to access the inside of the door for paint and removing the window regulator and the latch etc.


     Once that was done I removed all of the internals for the door. Latch, knob, regulator etc.







The rust hole makes it easy to remove the parts!



     The window regulator is dirty but in very good shape. Here is the before.







    And this is after washing it off.


Still has decent paint on it!
    I almost left the stuff in the door, but I knew the proper way would be to remove the parts and clean them up and paint them. I also want to try and fix the latch so the door handle does not sag. It looks like I will have to make a sleeve or do something with the hole the handle shaft goes into.

    The parts are soaking in vinegar tonight and I should be able to clean them up and get them back in the door pretty quick. (keeping in mind that it is Christmas and I may be delayed)

    I sprayed the inside of the door with a heavy coat of garage floor cleaner. I let that sit for awhile then hosed it out real good.


No comments:

Post a Comment