Friday, November 18, 2011

Rocker Replacement: Right Side

Sometimes you have a task that you have never attempted before. You face the decision to farm it out or attempt it yourself. I imagine two things cross most peoples minds when they face this.

1. Do I have the tools to do this. Tools, confidence, ability.

2. What's the worst that could happen!

This last one is what get's so many of us in trouble. Or at least learning a hard lesson. We can only hope that these lessons learned do not end up costing us a bunch of money and a trip to farm out the work. (read here Fix our mess). If your lucky enough to get the task completed you have put another notch in your noggin and one more task will not have to be farmed out. Hence, saving you money. The best part, you get to feel the pride of doing it yourself!.

I took this logic and applied it to these rocker panels. I figured the worst that could happen, weighed my ability and confidence against the task at hand and decided why not give it a try.

After thinking about it, the worst that could happen would be the opening spreading once I cut out the rocker. OK so I will brace it by welding in a piece of angle iron. Once I looked it over I decided the cab could not spread when the rocker is removed because the metal floor runs between the opening and the cab is attached to it. Less work ... great.

Do I need to remove the door? Hmmm well it would be easier. Problem was the pins did not want to budge. I tried a hammer, a bigger hammer then a large C clamp and a socket to try and force it up .... not. OK, what about the six screws holding the hinge to the cab? I gave a couple a brief tries with a large screw driver. Evidence of stripping the head of the screw stopped that experiment and quick. I would love to get the door off but not at the risk of tearing something up that is perfectly fine at the present!

 I decided it would be best to leave them on for now.

What else? I had to think about how the part was put in originally and how hard will it be to get out. After looking it over it was tacked in on the bottom and top and welded solid on the ends. No problem, break the welds and cut the ends. I can do that.

I took my chisel and cut each of the tacks across the top, then the bottom.





Then I cut each end and in the center and popped it out. Some tacks were stubborn so I had to grab the surrounding metal with pliers and twist it off.








I straighten this up a little before putting the rocker on. I knew I would not be able to get to it after.



After I got all the metal of I ground the area with a 40 grit flap disc on my grinder to remove rust and the excess metal where the old tack welds were. Once it was all cleaned up I taped off the painted section of the floor and exposed frame rail to prevent over spray from the Rust Reformer.



I also sprayed Reformer inside of the new rocker for future protection.



Once it had dried I drilled holes along the top edge so I could weld through to the metal floor. I do not know how these where in the original wood floor trucks so I had to do it based on how it was done before. Once it is finished I will probably seal it with some kind of automotive paint-able caulk.




I had to either remove the cab from the metal floor on the left side or notch the new rocker. I chose the later so there would be no chance of the cab moving on me. I slid that side in first and left as far as I could so I could work the right side up into the opening. This actually went pretty well. The rocker seems to fit pretty good although I felt the raised edge could have extended a bit more on each end for less of a gap. the original ones were leaded in so I will use the filler I have been using on the cab.



Once in place I tacked the left side and worked my way down from left to right filling in the holes. Before welding each hole I drilled into the floor metal a bit so I had good clean metal for a solid weld. I also ground each hole front and back for a shinny clean foundation.





And here it is. Just like Henry would have done it!


Happy with the finial out come I went ahead and welded up both ends. (just the top area and not down the face. the original was not welded here .. at least not on this truck)



 I still have to tack the bottom to the bottom of the floor lip and grind the welds. I will do that in the morning.


To do the other side I will have to move the truck. I hope to get to that tomorrow as well. I'm not sure yet what plans we have for the weekend. I'm thinking garage!


Lesson learned: How to install a rocker on a 35 Ford. Fortunately this was not a hard lesson. if you are thinking about doing this yourself ... go for it ... What's the worst that can happen?! ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment