Thursday, November 24, 2011

Kooolsville - Happy Thanksgiving!

I thought this was a pretty cool shot - I believe these are 55 DeSoto hubcaps. Neat, but I think they will one day be replaced. Right now I am leaning towards colored wires with wide whites.




Well being that is was Thanksgiving I just did a little bit today. I started out strong sanding off the skim coat but as it grew later in the day I did not want to disturb my neighbors while they ate turkey so I shut it down.








I had pretty much got the back top of the cab where I want it so I cleaned the area and shot it with Reformer. Rustoleum should pay me for advertising! LOL






I still see some areas that are not quite where I want them but I am hoping a high fill primer will take care of them ... if not I will revisit them before paint. In the shots above some of the filler has only started to be sanded or not sanded at all.

I am not sure if I discussed this or not ..... My goal with this truck was never to be a show truck. My original intention was to have no filler. But with persuasion from my girlfriend I decided to at least not have the dents stand out like a sore thumb LOL So that being said my goal is not for a show stopping straight body, but rather a solid body. Fix the rust areas and tone down the dents and dings.

This old girl worked hard at some time in her life and it shows. To bring her back to like new would take more time, skill, and tools than I have available. The other option would be to load on the filler and I do not want to do that ... so she will retain some of her character.

Sometimes you wish these old trucks could talk so they could tell their stories. I believe, based on the damage to the back and top of the cab that it was used to haul firewood. I believe the truck probably lived in or around Washington or Oregon in its early days. I can picture a good old boy taking it out in the woods to gather up firewood for the winter.


At one time someone had a spotlight on the driver side pillar and there is a plug in the center of the roof where an antenna use to be mounted. Also there are a series of holes along the front that I am thinking were cab lights. If they were they were pretty large ones judging by the pattern of the holes. Who knows maybe this truck served time with a fire department or forestry department?? I suppose it could have been a service truck for some company or other. Most likely that good old boy "fixed" her up to be cool with cab lights and a spot light. Sometime in the 70's she was probably fitted with a CB, hence the antenna.





Speaking of character, I found some more to tone down! LOL A bit of rust on the door corner. I will cut this out and repair it soon. At some point between now and Monday I have to move the truck over so I can get to the other rocker. The door on that side needs some major attention .... some kind of accident back in the day!



Another eye sore .. someone had a radio antenna mounted on the cab side at some point and it looks like they put it on crooked LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment