Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fearless Freddy Fenderless

Spent the better part of the morning removing the front fender. Either a bolt was stuck or I could not get a wrench on the backside to keep the whole thing from turning. I had a heck of a time removing the headlight from the fender. The nut was rusty and the whole light housing would turn when you tried to muscle down on it. I had to let all of the bolts soak in some PB Buster then I heated them with a torch. Once it was hot I melted some candle wax around the threads to lube them up a bit.






Once the light was off I put the nuts in vinegar to remove the rust and sat the light up on the jar so the threads could soak.



Once I got it off I fixed the bumper bracket hole where it had been bent inward. It still needs a little attention but looks better already.



Then I sanded the rust and paint from both sides of the fender.



Once all that was done I started working on the dents. The hammer and dollie are working pretty good. It may not look that good in the pics because it is picking up those old weld valleys ... but it is a lot better than it was and I still have more to do.






Found some original paint under the fender ... pretty sweet.





Here it is without fenders ...... don't worry they are going back on! LOL



No comments:

Post a Comment