Sunday, October 9, 2011

Don't be a square man!

Sweeeet

Drove it around the block today!


I thought I would have an easy day making the "square" panels that go between the cab and rear fender above the running board.

Even though I sat the bed a little higher in the rear than the front, the running board is tilting up even more. This would have made the panel look bad (taller in front). So I decided to raise the back of the bed a little more. At first I played around with the bushings under the bed frame, but every time I would adjust that the gas tank would have to be adjusted. Then I decided to to move the rear bed up on the frame, rather than move frame and all. There were 2 bolts (one on each side) holding it, so I took those out and clamped it in the new position. I will drill it the next time I work on it. Or after the side panels are done.

I measured and marked out the steel for the panels but I did not cut them to size. It was about 9 PM at that point, so I did not want to make a bunch of racket and pi$$ off my neighbors.




I also looked at moving that fender again. I took photos with it in various positions. Then did a modification with it in its current position.





If I had tons of money I would move the rear axle back a few inches and find some 35 fenders. Then I could also use the original running boards. Of course this would also mean extending the drive shaft, moving the rear shocks, and moving the gas tank I just installed.

I think I better stick with these for now. I may do away with the way the running boards curve in rather than meet the fender.





Oh, I found out the fenders on there now are 51 Dodge. The running boards look to be the same. They could be a different year if Dodge ran this fender a few years.



Random shots





Last but not least .....

I was securing the tail gate with zip ties but was tired of cutting them everytime i wanted the gate open so I came up with this temporary solution.




nnn

No comments:

Post a Comment