Saturday, August 20, 2011

Out with the transmission ... again.

I took the transmission back out today to see what was up with first gear not engaging and found a blockage in the hole that allows the rod to slide forward for first ... cleared that and it seems to be working OK out of the truck ... I will re install it soon and see how it does.




I also snapped the dang piece on the shift mechanism again ... Grrrrrr. I guess my welding sucks. I definitely need some practice! I'm thinking the piece may be cast, if it is I may have to come up with another solution. I have some ideas that I got from the H.A.M.B. (read about it here) for setting this up different. The link takes you out of this blog and straight to my comment ... just right click the link and choose open in new tab to stay here and once you are there scroll to the top for the first post) But at this point I still have not decided what to do as far as engine and trans, so I do not want to waste time and money fixing this if I am going to change it out. A temporary fix to allow me to move it around the garage will do.

If you have a spare trans laying around that is shot I sure could use the guts of the housing that holds the shift levers!


I mainly need the cylinder with the hourglass shaped tab on it but will take the entire housing if you do not want to take it apart.


No comments:

Post a Comment