Saturday, May 21, 2011

Changing gears

May 21, 2011

This morning I cleaned up the old gasket material and re installed the  cover. I was able to shift the trans into reverse after. I pretty much stopped there for the day. I need to get it back down on the floor and park it back in is space. I am going to try and do a bit tomorrow before I take it down and put it away. I wont be able to work on it for a bit. Around the first of July I am going to get that engine out and start thinking about a replacement drive train!

In the meantime I am trying to come up with a solid plan for the future of the truck. I will post my thoughts and my plan in my downtime.

I really wanted to try and keep this thing true to its original build in it's racing days but I would rather get more bang for my buck going a different route.

Here are some pics from today.



Note the hour glass lever ... the same one is used in the home made shift mechanism.

The shaft at the top moves freely back and forth. When pushing as far as it will go to the left and letting go it will push itself back to the right a short distance. See more below:

The bottom shaft seems stationary ?? I'm not sure if it is suppose to move or not. When installing the cover  that holds the levers back on, I lined the hourglass tab up and int o the middle of the two.

Right now it's back together, I have it in reverse and I'm pretty sure I can put it back into neutral. Until the shift lever is fixed I'm pretty much unable to do much else with the trans.

Here are some pics of the shafts in different positions .... I hope the pics come out well enough to see.

This is with the top pushed all the way right, note the two machined areas on the left side of the shaft.

When sliding it to the left it looks like it lines the machined area to the ball baring in the casing. Again, the bottom shaft has some play but pretty much does not move. Maybe the shifter has the leverage to move it but I couldn't by hand .... may be why the shifter broke LOL


I think the problem with first gear lies in the adjustment to the shifter. It doesn't seem to be pushing the bottom lever far enough forward to do its job.

After cleaning the old gasket off  and resealing it's back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment