Thursday, February 3, 2011

Wednesday - Thursday

Attempted to put the trans in yesterday. And of course I ran into more problems.. More after market parts issues. The throw out bearing must have been a tad smaller than the original as far as inside diameter. It slightly compressed the collar so that it was a very tight fit on the input shaft. So I had to sand that out until it slide on the shaft as it should. Of course I did not realize this until after I had the trans up and was fighting with it to get it to go. I finally got feed up and took it down and saw the problem.

So I decided enough of that for one day and I called it a day!

This morning I held off on messing with the trans and pulled the parts out of the vinegar, cleaned them up then wire wheeled them. Then I painted the parts (not the bolts) and assembled the traction bars as well as the e-brake assembly.

Then, back under the truck to see what I could do with the trans. Got it up and into the clutch disc. I could not seem to get it all the way in. I was about 1/4 inch from being flush but it just would not go. Finally I pulled the trans back out and decided to start fresh. I took the clutch and pressure plate back off and brought everything out from under the truck. Oh, guess what ... another after market part issue ... the clutch would only go to the edge and would hang, turned it around and it would hang right away. I could not see an obvious problem so I lightly filed the edges of the splines in case of a bur and that seemed to do the trick.

Another problem I ran into yesterday that I didn't mention was getting the throw out bearing on the fork .... the fork would hit the back of the bell housing before there was enough room for the bearing to clear the fingers on the pressure plate and slide up on the collar. I am hoping this problem will go away once the trans is actual mounted and everything is tightened down. If not, I'm not sure how I will get it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment