Tuesday, February 8, 2011

More steps back!

Ok so I got the trans in, then it was time to adjust the clutch.

Bearing was set to about 1/8 to 1/4 from the fingers .... gave me way to much pedal play and once pushed to the floor it would start to catch about 3 inches from the floor. A trip up the driveway and the clutch would start to slip near the top. Reverse felt OK but that was downhill. I decided to park it for the day .... while backing into the garage and trying to get it positioned against the wall, it became hard to get it into gear (any).

The next day I jacked it back up and found that the thin metal clip behind the bearing fork was out of shape and allowing too much play in the fork. With some effort I was able to get it pretty tight. Had a time getting the fork back behind the bearing.

The next day (Sunday) I adjusted the rod 2 complete turns in to bring the bearing a little closer to the fingers. I did not have time to test that setting so I waited until Monday.

Monday I tried it out and initially I was able to pull forward, when I went to back back up I couldn't get into any gears again! While I was attempting to go into first the shifter went limp! WTF !!!! It had snapped off the shifting mechanism! Crap! & Double Crap!

This homemade set up works but is very sloppy. The main body the lever attaches to looks just like the setup inside the transmission. The first picture shows this part and you can see how small the part the shifter hooks to was at the base. From the broken point up it was a flat section of metal shaped like an hour glass that the shifter slid onto. The hour glass shape allowed for bolts to go on each side to hold it secure and not be able to lift off. I will post a picture of the tab later today.

Home made shift setup

Small tab beside the blob of weld is the piece that broke
This is a tab welded on to push against another part
Looks good but useless :O(


Decided to go back to the paint removal until I can access a welder and get that fixed. I used the flap disc and removed the paint from half of the hood and a bit of the roof.


1 comment:

  1. Reactions; I clicked "cool" I meant the truck, not the broken shift lever! Should be just a simple weld job. But do not get a"jack leg" to do it !

    ReplyDelete