Thursday, January 27, 2011

Out of gas ... but plenty of water!

Removed the sending unit from the gas tank. Also removed a rubber hose that someone put on an extra outlet(?) with a bolt in it and filled that in with JB weld. Drained the gas and rinsed out the tank. Used paint remover on the rubber coating then scraped off the excess and finished up with a flapper on the grinder. Painted one side with Rust Reformer. Will do the other side tomorrow and I will pick up some undercoating to top it off. Once it is painted I will pour in some white vinegar to dissolve any rust that may be in there.

Paint is still wet

A few dents but I'm not concerned



I was loosing some water at the thermostat housing so I took that back off to make sure everything was OK in there ... it was not ... I put one of the gaskets on wrong LOL I went ahead and made new gaskets and put it all back together and toped it off with some 50/50 mix antifreeze. I'm still loosing water .... Um, I forgot to put pipe dope or plumber's tape on the bolts that hold the thermostat housing on ... that's gotta be where it's coming from! Grrrrr I will deal with it later.

In between waiting for the paint remover to work on the tank I brushed some on the drivers door and fender. I wanted to get some of that striped while the truck was away from the wall.


After the first scrape

After the first scrape

1 comment:

  1. Looking good!!
    ..." I put one of the gaskets on wrong LOL I went ahead and made new gaskets "
    I thought there was only " one " gasket, the one between the hose housing and the thermostat? Not sure...

    ReplyDelete