Thursday, December 2, 2010

This weeks problems.....

I knew I should not have used those old gaskets ... but what the hell, it did not cost me anything but time to try it out ..... water in the oil ....ordered the new gaskets tonight. I wont bore you with the same ole same ole so I will post with results!

I did learn from a MOPAR guy on the H.A.M.B that I should blow out all of the bolt holes on the block and wet the bolts before installing the heads. Your not suppose to install the bolts "dry".

I also confirmed that the bolt torque should be done in a outward spiral and start with 45 lbs then 65 lbs and finally 85 lbs. Run it a bit then recheck them. This is how I did mine, so no issue there.

Also gasket material for a normal application is optional, but I did go with the metal sandwich type that is on there now. 26. each from an eBay seller N.O.S.

3 comments:

  1. I think I would have the heads checked, tell them to leave the valves alone, you can do them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I should ... but since it was not spewing water into the oil before I did the valve seals I am 99.9% sure it is because I tried to reuse the old gasket. It is a sandwich type gasket and your not suppose to torque them a second time. I kinda figured I would get the results that I got .... I figured it would'nt cost me anything to try to reuse it ...I did not figure on the oil LOL So I was wrong on that aspect.

    I have to look at it like this .... I have a hundred bucks ...do I use it to check the heads out and have them surfaced and let the truck sit after until I can afford the head gaskets ...or .... do I take the hundred and get the head gaskets based on the knowledge that the heads didn't leak before I did the valves and cross my fingers that that is it! LOL

    Common sense tells me to get the heads checked and surfaced! My desire to get it on the road sooner makes me take the chance with the gaskets! If the gasket doesn't work I will happily bow my head as you say I told you so, then promptly bend over and kick myself in the arse for not listening LOL.

    I need 3K for parts and labor for a complete rebuild!!! Any donors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better safe than sorry.........
    Wish I could donate.
    Best of luck in whatever you do !!

    ReplyDelete