Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Radiator problem

Well I got the engine back together and I still had water gushing from the radiator! Crap ... so as you see from below I went on to do a little metal work to get away from the engine for a while.

I spent most of the holidays working on the tail gate. It is getting better with heat and hammer but still has a long ways to go ... the good news is this is the worst of the body work as far as dents go. I do not plan on getting it perfect but better. The pictures may look like its getting worse but really it's not, I promise LOL.

Yesterday I thought I would try out my fiber sanding wheel on the drill ...it works great! I went back over the passenger side bed panel and removed most of the major rust right behind the tire. I also revisited the top rail and the side panel parts I had already done. I brought one short section of the running board to bare metal as well. The wheel still has some material left but I will be getting a couple more of these.


The camera picks up rust I can hardly see LOL


Ready for the sanding wheel


Now the engine ....  OK, no water in the oil so far after a lot of run time, does not overheat (stays right at 180°), not seeing any unusual smoke from the exhaust ... so what the hell?

I know it needs a water pump, it is leaking from the weep hole. That will be sometime in the next week or so.

Then I thought, maybe the Flathead radiator has some weird construction property that wont allow me to get cross flow the way I have it hooked up. When I got the truck both hoses where on the passenger side of the radiator. So I made a diagram and asked on the trusty HAMB site:






Well they confirmed I should not have an issue with this configuration and I thought that would be the case. So this morning I took the thermostat out and top off the fluid at that location and put the hose back on. I then filled the radiator up and started her up. I could see the water circulating and everything seems to be fine. The truck never got up to temp, so I really wont know until I take it outside and run it enough to heat up to see what happens. I will probably do that after this post.

I also boiled the thermostat with a thermometer and it appears to open between 180° and 200° ... closer to 200° I think. I will have to do it again to confirm. Closer to 200 would probably not be ideal for this truck since it never seems to go over 180°. I think what is happening is a combination of the thermostat and the water pump, but I can not be sure just yet.

I am posting a picture of the water pump for my own use, but enjoy LOL

You can see where it has been leaking (brown area)




After looking online it seems I will just be getting the pump part  that the fan bolts onto and no the whole assembly ... I tried to remove this when the truck was in VA to replace the gasket without any luck. I did not try too hard because I did not want to break a bolt. Maybe with it mounted on the engine I will be able to get more leverage on it to break them loose. Crossing my fingers ... don't want to have to hunt down the whole thing!

1 comment:

  1. I'm writing to make you understand of the outstanding discovery my friend's princess found reading your web site. She learned several details, most notably what it's like to have an incredible giving mindset to have many people easily understand various tricky subject matter. You really exceeded people's desires. Many thanks for presenting the beneficial, safe, explanatory and also fun thoughts on this topic to Ethel.
    Espar Heater

    ReplyDelete