Thursday, September 16, 2010

Idle time

Nope not the engine idle LOL ... I spent some time searching for information about the transmission. It's a Borg Warner T-16 out of a 40s-50s Mopar. My guess is it was in a Plymouth as well as the engine --- 1955 Plaza.

I got the information from the jalopyjournel aka H.A.M.B. (Hokey Ass Message Board) website .... great resource for all things "Traditional Rods"

GO HERE

Here was the the  reply to my question about the trans and the loose shift lever:

"Its a mopar trans from the late 40's - early 50's. It was originally set up as a column shift, so I am guessing the homade floor shift mechanism is probably causing the free play. I would probably redesign the shifter to work correctly, go back to a column shift, or ditch that trans all together and go with a later mopar overdrive trans with a floor shift or a t-5 ."

See the full thread HERE.

So another major part will be needed at some point. The trans will work as is for the time being, but I will want something different later on.

Every little fix seems to turn into a big one ...new trans = New mount solution, new mount for the emergency brake, possibly different drive shaft end. And thinking about the transmission has me looking at the rear. Without looking at it , is it too wide? If i put a narrow white wall on the rear would it sit too far out from the bed for a factory sized fender? Hmmm probably ... new fender, new rear and all associated with changing it out ... brakes hubs lines etc.

Just random thoughts ... the good thing is I don't have to do it all at once ... the current set up should work until I have some extra cash to change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment